Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Peas if you please

Over the course of the past two weeks we have been trying to harvest and eat peas from the garden. It has been very disappointing and I am sure I am to blame. This year when I planted the garden, I vowed to be more diligent about marking what I planted where and when. Soooo I diligently placed plant labels at the beginning of each row marked with date and variety. You would think, had I been so fastidious I would have known that the peas I was trying to harvest were shelling peas and not sugar snap peas. I was trying to eat the whole pod and harvest early so they would be tender. It seemed no matter how early I got to them they were still fibrous. Alas I waited a week until they were nice and plump and what do you know, if you pop open those pods some beautiful and tasty little surprises wait inside!

So why was I so clueless? Well this is a lesson that I am ashamed to admit that I learned long ago actually sitting in class at UNC! I marked my plant tags with a sharpie. It takes less than two weeks for the sun to render the markings of the seemingly ever permanent sharpie invisible! Always use a pencil my friends. Is holds up to sun and water forever! I am sure I have weeded away some special rows of something this year because I didn't know what I was looking for to sprout. Sigh. Thank you all for your patience during my computer troubles! Things are well on their way to spectacular now!

No comments:

Post a Comment