Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Seed Starting


I start many of my own seedlings in the greenhouse. You don't actually need a greenhouse to do so, just a place with a lot of light. I like to get them started in a tray of perlite. It holds moisture well and separates easily when it comes time to pluck out the seedlings and plant them into soil. Here you see sprouted cabbage, brussel sprouts and broccoli. At this size they are ready to be transplanted into soil. In this tray I also have my tomatoes and peppers but they have not sprouted yet! I'll post some images of the transplanting process soon! I am so happy to be busy with the workings of spring! Be sure you are getting your seeds going too!

2 comments:

  1. When would be a good time to start planting? Tomatoes, squash and such? Not from seed.

    --CA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out the following link: http://www.sacramentogardening.com/edible_gardening.html This is a great spread sheet for planting your area! I am so jealous you have such a long planting season!

    ReplyDelete