Saturday, June 19, 2010

Cherries and Strawberries

About 4 years ago we purchased a nice Montmorency cherry tree from a nursery that was going out of business. Every year it has bloomed beautifully but no cherries. We were beginning to wonder if it was labeled wrong and not a self fertile tree meaning I would need two instead of one. Today, as I was watering I looked up in the tree and saw something shiny and red. What could that be? Closer investigation revealed not one but three perfect red cherries! I know three seems pretty lame but, nonetheless they were awesome. Unfortunately I inhaled them before I took a picture! The strawberries are also in full fruit. Last year I moved them from the garden to a raised bet dedicated to their care. As a result we did not eat many last year but I am happy to say I see some strawberry deserts coming my way this year! What is your favorite thing to do with fresh summer strawberries?

No comments:

Post a Comment